About Us

My photo
We are the students at the Innoko River High School, living in the last village on the Innoko River in the western Interior of Alaska.

Jamie Hamilton

Interests: Hunting, fishing and working on engines.

Hobbies: Basketball, snowboarding, snowmachining, and dirtbiking.

Favorite Native food: Willow grouse.

Reaction to being told we were going to SOUTH AFRICA:
At first I was speechless, and to this day I can not believe we were chosen to go.

Jamie

Jamie
ALISON Shadow data

Our GLOBE Research

We have been a GLOBE school since 1998. Different classes of students have set up different study sites over the years but in 2005 our local research on our environment took on a different twist when lightening struck behind our village and burned a 15-acre area of land dangerously close to local homes.

The Alaska State Forestry Department hired the Shageluk Emergency Fire Fighting crew and the EFF crew from Nikolai to assist in putting out the fire. The fire lasted just two weeks but has provided us with long-term data on regrowth in a Boreal forest that has made us think about climate change and how it effects our cultural traditions and survival as the Deg Hitan people!

Monday, June 23, 2008

Jack, Monday Activities

Today Joy had a hard time to wake me up this morning because I was tired from the time difference and too soft bed. Then I guess she woke me up and I fell back to sleep. 25-minutes later I woke up again and got ready to get out of my room. We each have a single dorm room, nobody bunks with us. When I walked out of the room I had to catch Joy up and say "Good morning," and I stopped at Everett's room. We went and ate some breakfast, then we caught the Jammie Shuttle up to upper campus where our meetings are. The campus is big with large old buildings made of stone. Then we walked to Jameson Hall where our first meetings are. We got to call home today from Leslie Hall. My mom was at Bingo so I didn't get a chance to talk to her but I talked to my sister. We watched people give their presentations, other students and I imagined what it wold be like when we do our presentation tomorrow. All day we spent listening to other people's projects, one from Finland talked about Birch trees. After dinner we listened to other kids' cultural presentations. Some countries have no cultures. The kids from Detroit talked about sports and the kids from Ohio talked about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They have no culture. We are very, very sleepy in the evening here but I'm having fun and got to meet some people.

No comments: