About Us

My photo
We are the students at the Innoko River High School, living in the last village on the Innoko River in the western Interior of Alaska.

Jamie Hamilton

Interests: Hunting, fishing and working on engines.

Hobbies: Basketball, snowboarding, snowmachining, and dirtbiking.

Favorite Native food: Willow grouse.

Reaction to being told we were going to SOUTH AFRICA:
At first I was speechless, and to this day I can not believe we were chosen to go.

Jamie

Jamie
ALISON Shadow data

Our GLOBE Research

We have been a GLOBE school since 1998. Different classes of students have set up different study sites over the years but in 2005 our local research on our environment took on a different twist when lightening struck behind our village and burned a 15-acre area of land dangerously close to local homes.

The Alaska State Forestry Department hired the Shageluk Emergency Fire Fighting crew and the EFF crew from Nikolai to assist in putting out the fire. The fire lasted just two weeks but has provided us with long-term data on regrowth in a Boreal forest that has made us think about climate change and how it effects our cultural traditions and survival as the Deg Hitan people!

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Everett: Sunday, June 29, Departure Day #2 (including Shageluk travel)

We all went to the airport and waited in line for a couple of hours and got our tickets to Dakar and New York. We went to our plane after they checked our bags and we got on the plane. I had to switch places with Jamie because I couldn't sit by the Exit row seat (I'm too young still). AFter that long rlight we waited inoru seats while they checked the plane and they switched crews and pilots. I fell asleep after they passed me and woke up and we were int he air to New York. While we were in New York we tok a subway to our check in and waited on a long line for a couple of hours. After that we went through security and got breakfast. After that we went to our gates and waited to board our plane. I looked at my ticket and realized I had First Class from New York to Seattle Finally, after awhile we went on the plane and I sat in First Class. First thing I sat down they asked if I wanted anything and I asked for orange juice. When we got in the air they asked if I wanted eggs or cereal so I asked for cereal and they gave it to me. There was lots of fruit and a smoothie. After breakfast I gave them my tray and went to sleep. I woke up and they asked if I wanted any more orange juice and I said, "Yeah." I finished it and went back to bed. After we got to Seattle I looked out the window and saw the Space Needle and we landed. We asked for directions and we got a ride to the subway. We had to go to Alaska Airlines and get our tickets, after that we sat around and waited to board our flight to Anchorage. We got in line and we were looking around for Jamie because he was looking around in the stores. I had to sit by Jack and he went to sleep. I kept bothering him but he wouldn't wake up so I went to sleep, to. When I woke up we were almost to Anchorage. I had to use the bathroom really bad. We finally landed and I got off and told back to hold my bag and I ran to the bathroom. Joy went to rent a car and we all picked up our baggage and went to a hotel and we all fell asleep. When we woke up we dropped off Jack at his mom's and we left to go to stores and other places. After that we went back to the hotel and I couldn't sleep all night. I was almost sleeping but Rudy knocked on the door and we went to a couple of more places and we went to the airport and waited for our plane. Then we went to Aniak and then, HOME!

No comments: